Monday, February 28, 2011

Let's Talk about Health, Calories and Weight

So I was talking to a friend of mine today about weight. It was a discussion including adults and children. I mentioned that I hadn't weighed myself in over 25 years, and she said "Wow, you're lucky."

Funny, in relation to my weight or body size, I never thought so. Since my teens, I have always thought of myself as "the-chubby-one." But actually, right now, I am not, and haven't been for the last 8 years or so.

Back to our conversation. As we continued to talk she said that a nutritionist once mentioned that a child's snack should be around 50-70 calories. Again, I mentioned that I never count calories

So, what's changed since I was a teen? What's different on our experiences? Our stories?
It's true that I never look at the calories on a label, but I sure do spend time reading labels. So do my kids (8 and 5 years old) What do I read?
I read what is actually IN the product. Where is "sugar" listed because the closer it is to first the more sugar is in it. Are there any hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils? Or vegetable oils (a tricky code for transfats)? Or soy lecithin?
What is the ratio between things that I recognized as food and others that I don't. It all seems daunting and impossible, but when you take the time, even ask your kids to look for some of these items, you WILL find brands, or products within brands, without all that, OK, I have to say it, CRAP.

When you eat food that is as close as you can, in that moment, come to a food in its natural form, you don't need to count calories. Your body knows what to do with the food you are putting into it. That means, it will tell you when you are full, and you will hear and eventually listen. Your body will tell you when a food isn't agreeing with you, and you will hear it and eventually you will cut down or not eat that food anymore because you won't desire it. I bet if you pay attention next time you eat someth8ing like that, you'll discover that it tastes great for a few bites and then slowly, you start to feel a bit, icky, then tired and sad... Try it and see.

Why? Our bodies are not fabricated by us. We are not 'man-made". So what our body knows how to process best is not 'man-made" but nature made. Personally, I go as far to bring this belief to my skin, the largest organ in our bodies. Anything that goes on it, goes through it, and goes in it. So almost exclusively, whatever I put on my body, if pressed, I could eat.

Fat is one way our body protects us from things it can't handle. It wraps it up in fat and puts it somewhere- hips, belly, legs, chin, etc. Take out part of the need for that protection- "man-made" food, and take away your body's need to make fat.

If you think about most 'diets," you spend your time simplifying what you eat. Usually down to clean proteins, vegetables, maybe some fruits and nuts. All nature made food.

Think about what you are reading for. Look for the real food. Eat your way to feeling great.

I'd love to hear your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment