Saturday, February 3, 2018

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies



I have adapted and "health-ed up' this recipe from a fantastic cookbook (ThePerfect Chocolate Chip Cookie) my roommate Cynthia gave me in business school.  She knew when I was overwhelmed because ...  I would start baking!   This was in 1989!  It was the start of my alternative baking and cooking career.  I updated this recipe, multiple times, with the help of my kids, who have learned my 'techniques for years, and fully approve of this version!  This is the latest version based on a double recipe of the original.  If you only wan half the batch, do NOT just cut the amounts in half,  email me and I'll let you know a smaller version.  You can always contact me through the FB page:  My Healthy Path * Manger Bien Etre Bien  (Jennifer Triger).  I make this quantity, then freeze what I do not want to bake that day. Typically I bake 6 at a time.

Makes 29 LARGE cookies

INGREDIENTS

Dry
515r whole flour (I use  50:50 buckwheat & einkorn (sarrasin & petit epeature)  )
2  tsp (10gr) baking soda
1 tsp (6gr) seasalt
2 cup (300 gr) coconut sugar or rapadura
3 cups (600 grams) dark chocolate chips


Wet
4 eggs
2 TBL (25gr)  pure vanilla extract
375gr butter- melted with the white foam (milk fat) skimmed off the top and put aside  -
Measure out 285gr of this liquid.  (or use ghee or clarified butter- which is what you have done here if you follow the instructions)

Method
Melt butter. As it melts you will see a white foam (the milk fat) rise to the surface. Skim this off. Let it simmer a few more minutes, you will hear popping noises.  This is the water evaporating out of the butter.  This takes about 10 minutes + . Put aside to cool a while you prepare the rest.

In a large bowl, sift flour with baking soda and seasalt.  Mix in the 2 types of sugar.  Make suer you press out and hard lumps of sugar with a fork or you hands.

In a separate bowl/container, blend all WET (liquid) ingredients together well.  Clarified butter (ghee) + 4 eggs  + vanilla.  I use a very tall cup and blend with an immersion blender.

Pour blended liquid ingredients into dry. Mix.
Add chocolate chips.

I like large cookies. Scoop up batter with an ice-cream scoop.
Place on a cookie sheet and refridgerate for 1-3 hours.

Heat oven to 375F (175C).
When ready to bake place balls on cookie sheet well spaces. I put 6 per sheet.  Press with the heel of you hand, so they flatten a bit.
Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool. ENJOY!
I freeze them most of them for the future once I have flattened them a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment