Monday, June 7, 2010

Artichoke Dip ("Almost fat-free"!!)

I dont know about you, but I stopped eating Artichoke Dip when I was around 18. It was then i started to literally feel all that mayonnaise inside me. For me, it came out as greasy skin! Having now been living in France close to 3 years (OMG!) I have found a new interest in these American favorites. The French are always looked at as a race that appreciates good food - true, good taste - true, and good quality ingredients... not always true. What I have found is that French families, like American families, are looking for good healthy food, and the time to make it. Maybe this interest is a pride of American cooking, taste and innovation, while I add my own quality and time standards.

This is a take on a low fat Martha Stewart recipe. I'll soon post another non-mayo version! Serve this with raw veggies (crudites) and/or small toasts of baguette. Actually serve it whatever you have, it will be eaten!

Artichoke Dip

2 cans of artichoke hearts, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 1/4 cup + 1 Tbl grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbl (soupspoon) fresh lemon juice(keeps it from oxidizing and turning brown)
1 clove garlic, chopped fine or grated
1 scallion/green onion chopped

Pre-heat oven to 425F/210C.
In blender or food processor, place 1`can of artichokes, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, garlic and puree.
Add 2nd can of artichokes and scallions. Pulse only to combine. Leave in small chunks.
Place in a 1 quart/1 liter baking dish (I used glass), top with another 1 T of Parmesan.
Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment